Friday, August 21, 2009

Yummy yummy yummy I've got oats in my tummy

Oatmeal. Call me boring, old-fashioned, or late for dinner (but never breakfast - it's my favourite meal of the day!) but I don't care: I love oatmeal more than any other food I can think of. Yup, it's the best alright.

But for a really long time, I was stuck in a bit of an oatmeal rut. Every morning it was the same: cook oats on stovetop in water. Add raisins and cinnamon. Cook it all until raisins are plump. Spoon into a bowl and eat.

Don't get me wrong. That's some tasty oats. But it gets monotonous, five - seven days a week. I was so sick of the same tired old oatmeal that I actually abandoned them for a few weeks and could barely stand the thought of eating oats again.

Then I discovered two things that have brought oatmeal back into my life: Katie's Blended Grains Melted Banana Trick. Katie: thank you!

If you haven't checked out either of those links before, I highly reco
mmend. Not to mention - Katie also has some killer oatmeal recipes. So, as a newbie to the wonderful world of diverse flavours in creamy, creamy oatmeal I decided to trial a few of them out.

The first one? Brownie Batter Oatmeal. Unfortunately, no pics - sorry! But if you're
 skeptical about a simple combination of cocoa powder, oats, banana and soymilk tasting like real brownie batter, don't be. Because it does

And now onto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal, which I specifically went out and bought Sweet William's Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips for. I was that dedicated. And *incredibly* excited, since I'm a massive fan of cookie dough.
I was not disappointed. 


I can assure you it's the most ridiculously tasty thing on the PLANET.
Anyway, moving forward - all this new-fangled oatmeal concocting got me thinking: why not come up with a few brand spankin' new bowls of my own?
How about... Choc Chip Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse Oatmeal?
Yes, you say? Well, here's the recipe...
One serve uncooked old-fashioned oats
100g silken-firm tofu
70g roasted pumpkin (or pumpkin puree)
12g Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
Non-dairy chocolate chips
Cinnamon & nutmeg/pumpkin pie spice (optional)
Non-dairy milk (optional)

1. First, throw your oats & tofu in a saucepan and cook with water (or non-dairy milk). Stir so that the tofu distributes throughout the oatmeal - there will be little random bits of it, but don't worry about that because...
2. Blending time! Throw your cooked oats & tofu with the BTCC, pumpkin and cinnamon & nutmeg into your food processor. Blend it up till it's as creamy as you want it to be. If you want you could add soymilk during this step.
3. Scoop into a bowl and sprinkle with your chocolate chips and some more cinnamon and voila! Eat it until you're sick.

Variation: Blueberry Cheesecake Mousse Oatmeal! Just substitute the pumpkin, and the chocolate chips, for blueberries - and be sure to use Katie's good ol' Melted Banana Trick. Bowl-licking goodness.
But I was not content at finding just one amazingly delicious oatmeal combo (plus variation, that is). Oh, no.

Mocha Choc-a-Chip Oatmeal
One uncooked serving of old-fashioned oats
A banana
10g good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Green & Blacks Organic Cocoa)
10ml (or whatever a "serve" is) of your favourite coffee/chicory syrup (Mine is Bickford's)
Chocolate chips (for the Australians out there - use Sweet William's Dairy Free Choc Chips. They're my whole life)
Your favourite non-dairy milk (I actually enjoy the taste of fat free So Good :O)
Cinnamon (optional but so good)

1. Cook the serving of oats on the stovetop in water - or in n
on-dairy milk, whatever floats your oats ;)
2. While this is cooking, use Katie's genius Melted Banana Trick.
3. When the banana's done, stir it into the still-cooking oatmeal with a few chocolate chips and leave for about 30 seconds.
4. Turn off the stovetop and transfer your oatmeal to your food processor. Now add in your cocoa, coffee syrup and non-dairy milk. Cinnamon too, if you want!
5. Blend it up and try not to drool while you wait for this part to be over.
6. Scoop your delicious oatmeal out of your food processor and into your bowl. Top with remaining choc chips and if you want, a bit more non-dairy milk. 
7. Eat and die happy :D

The morning that I conceived the above delectable recipe (yesterday), I decided that as it was a Friday I would have oatmeal again for dinner, as a celebration of sorts. Breakfast for dinner - any excuse'll do ;)

But I didn't want to have the *same* oatmeal as I'd eaten for brekkie. That's just silly. So I got thinking.

... And came up with delicious, creamy Banana Coconut Cream Pie Oatmeal.
I can't even begin to describe how good this was. I really can't. Just... try it, okay?

One serve uncooked old-fashioned oats
One small banana, chopped up
45ml lite coconut milk - separated into 30ml and 15ml
5g dessicated coconut

1. Cook your oats in a combination of water and the 30ml coconut milk.
2. Meanwhile, use that amazing Melted Banana Trick, courtesy of Katie.
3. When your banana's melted, stir it into your still cooking oats and allow to cook through for about 40 seconds.
4. Dump your oatmeal into your trusty food processor and add the 15ml coconut milk. BLEND!
5. Scoop out into a bowl, sprinkle with the dessicated coconut, and enjoy. When I say "enjoy" I mean "pass out in ecstasy". Really.


Phew - that was a whole lotta oats! I definitely cannot say I'm sick of oatmeal, though, even after a hard week's dedication to it. Guess what's for breakfast tomorrow?

What's your favourite way to have oatmeal?


9 comments:

  1. Oh Liz, I just can't get over how kind you are. Plus, YOUR oatmeal creations look pretty darn amazing! I love you! (In a non-creepy way, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! i just stumbled upon your blog and coincidentally, oatmeal is my favourite breakfast!! i love mixing it up with a smooshed up banana, a massive spoonful of natural crunchy peanut butter, blueberries, cinnamon, agave nectar or honey, and some almond milk. it's the stuff dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choc Chip Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse Oatmeal!?!?!

    My head is spinning, I can't even begin to imagine how amazing and delicious and perfect and scrumptious this must be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!
    I thought I was the only one who loved oatmeal that much!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooow ive never heard of so many ways to have oatmeal! I usually just mix jam into mine lol they all look awesome.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oatmeal consumption looks positively dull next to your creative recipes... I generally have porrige with some agave nector, nuts and fruit. I cannot wait to try your brownie batter oatmeal - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness.....that pumpkin oatmeal.....holy moly. I need to try this recipe asap.

    Love your blog! Added you to my blogroll; hope that is ok :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete